Struggling with rough skin? We’ve all been there. In our experience, the quest for softer skin is pretty universal across ages and skin types. Whether rough or dry skin is an intermittent battle for you, or an every single day issue, we have you covered with some key steps to get you to baby smooth and soft.
1. Cleanse gently. We recommend finding something that does the trick for washing away dirt and makeup, yet doesn’t contain harsh surfactants that give you the squeaky clean feel. Dr. Hauschka, Tata Harper and Ursa Major all make excellent cleansers. Your skin will thank you for staying away from cleansers with SLS; it’s the suds-maker that was initially developed as an industrial degreaser, but which now sits in a large percentage of foaming personal care products. That tight feeling post-cleanse? It’s a sign you’ve stripped your skin’s natural barrier, and it’s time to switch cleansers.
2. Strengthen your skin’s barrier from within. Ingesting foods rich in antioxidants and fatty acids will help fight free radicals and the oxidative stress that can cause rough and grumpy skin. In addition, certain herbs have an affinity for skin, and ingesting them daily can be an excellent way to support skin barrier health. Herbs such as ginger and green tea contain powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatories, and most Mab Tabs contain both.
3. Find your exfoliation sweet spot. Sloughing away dead skin at the surface is important for healthy smooth skin, but don’t overdo it. Many people in the quest for softer skin tend to take the “more is more” approach, and, unfortunately, this can cause more harm than good. We recommend using an alpha-hydroxy exfoliant such as lactic acid 1-2 x per week. Our favorite is this Resurfacing Moisture Mask from True Botanicals. Amazing for all skin types.
4. Use a really good face oil as your moisturizer. A high-quality face oil protects your skin from oxidative stress and provides the nutrients your skin needs to have a healthy barrier function. Mab & Stoke’s Daily Defense Face Oil is made with a balance of linoleic and oleic fatty acids which are critical for protecting both the surface and deeper layers of the skin, keeping moisture in and pollutants out. It’s a softer skin game-changer with instant gratification results, and it smells divine with hints of Sandalwood and Neroli.
5. Hydrate and get enough sleep. Drinking enough water is incredibly important for overall wellness, and your skin health is no exception! When your body has enough hydration, your skin will be naturally softer and smoother. So instead of small sips, think in terms of drinking one half to a full ounce of water for every pound you weigh. That means that if you weigh 150 pounds, you should aim for a minimum of 75 ounces of water per day. Herbal teas and elixirs count too. Try one of our favorite tea blends: one part Nettle, one part Mint, one part Lemon Balm. Delicious!